by Karen Marie
Billed as "the largest RV show in the country”, the Florida RV SuperShow is definitely worth attending if you are interested in RVs and camping. Organized by the Florida RV Trade Association (FRVTA), the show takes place annually at the Florida State Fairgrounds in Tampa. The dates for 2017 are Wednesday, January 18 - Sunday, January 22.
There are two main attractions at the show. The first is a huge area filled with RVs of all types, from many different dealers and manufacturers - over 1300 RVs are expected to be on display this year. The second main attraction is an exhibit hall with booths occupied by campgrounds and RV-related businesses selling supplies and accessories. Promotional materials advertise over 350 booths this year. Worth noting, there are also seminars offered daily on topics related to buying, maintaining, and enjoying your RV.
Based on my experience last year, I offer the following tips for making the most of your Florida RV SuperShow Experience.
- Plan in advance. Go to www.frvta.org to look at the list of participants, maps, and other useful information prior to arriving at the show.
- Allow enough time. A $10 adult admission is good for two days of attendance. I tried doing everything in one day last year, and it was too much. I recommend planning on for two days
- Camp overnight. You can dry camp in the fairgrounds parking area for $20 per night. I did this last year. Finding other accommodations at hotels and campgrounds nearby seemed to be difficult due to the large number of people in the area to attend the show. Dry camping was readily available on the Saturday night I was there last year.
- On that note, it is worth mentioning that the weekend days are considerably more congested, so if you are able, attending on Wednesday - Friday may be better. Senior citizens get $1 off admission on Wednesday.
- Be prepared to pay for parking. The admission price does not include parking. The fairgrounds charges $6 per car or $12 per RV.
- Bring and wear sun protection. The majority of the show is outdoors in the sun. Wear sunscreen and hats, bring an umbrella to shade yourself, drink plenty of water, and take breaks in the covered areas.
- Wear comfortable shoes. You will do A LOT of walking if you want to see it all.
- A little secret I will share from last year… if you are looking at buying an RV, ask the dealer for a “Bee Back” pass to come back the next day if you need time to think.
- Definitely visit the exhibitor area. Many vendors give away freebies such as bags and other promotional items. The campgrounds often offer coupons for free days or discounted stays.
After attending the Florida RV SuperShow last year for the first time, I understand why they call it "Super". If you are planning to attend, stop by the office at Paradise Island RV Resort for a $1 off admission coupon. And plan to visit our parent company, Riverstone RV, at the RV Show, booth #A132. Find out more about our Florida RV Resorts: Paradise Island, SunNShade, Boardwalk and West Bay Oaks.